Robert Gordon University
Students who wish to study abroad are often met with crossroads. You may have numerous questions in your mind, as to which study abroad destination is ideal for you, or which university is best. The good news is that once you have taken this bold decision of studying abroad, you may successfully advance ahead in your career, explore various possibilities, and climb the ladder of success. This is because overseas education comes with its own perks – latest amenities and facilities, interactive courses, excellent education system, and what not.
One such institute that offers top-notch education coupled with exciting career opportunities is the University of Plymouth located at Plymouth, UK. It was founded in 1862 as the School of Navigation, and has now gone on to become UK’s 15 largest university. This University is the first and only post-1992 university to have established its own dental and medical school. It currently has five different faculties, namely Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Faculty of Business, Faculty of Health and Human Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, and the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry.
This civic university is known for its teaching excellence, and is a proud recipient of numerous awards and rankings. It is placed second in the UK and holds the 86th rank globally, according to the 2018 Times Higher Education Young University Rankings. The University holds 23 National Teaching Fellowships in Higher Education since the year 2000. You will also be pleased to know that it had won the Guardian University Awards in 2013 with respect to student experience. In the international category, the University bagged the fourth rank by the Whatuni Student Choice Awards in 2018. Last but not the least, it has been awarded silver by the Teaching Excellence Framework. These are just a few facts and figures of the University. The list goes on, indicating the level of academic excellence.
Plymouth University is home to around 23,000 students, who come from over 100 different countries to pursue their education – be it a bachelor’s degree or a master’s programme. The University has maintained over 80 international connections in over 30 countries. What’s interesting is that the teaching faculty has vast knowledge in their particular field and dearth of experience. So much so that 58% of the academic staff have PhD qualifications. Besides, the staff members are empowered, creative, and take on responsibility. They, therefore, work with their students to consistently strive towards exceptional performance.
The University is true to its mission of ‘Advancing knowledge, transforming lives.’ It aims to achieve this through the delivery of high quality and internationally-acknowledged education, innovation and research. Students then go on to become capable, highly confident and adaptable global citizens. It is here that you succeed in your ambitions, become leaders of tomorrow, and contribute in making a major difference in the society.
The University of Plymouth offers numerous courses in various fields, ranging from business to biology, fine art to philosophy, and design to dentistry. It is, however, imperative to choose a course that is best suited to your interest and area of study. Remember, the course that you study has a great impact on your student life. You may, therefore, take utmost care to choose a course that fuels your passion to study, and that which helps you improve your career prospects.
Are you ready to apply for your place on an undergraduate programme? Following is an extensive list of Plymouth University undergraduate courses.
- BA (Hons) Architecture (RIBA Part 1 exemption)
- BA (Hons) Architectural Technology and the Environment
- BA (Hons) 3D Design
- BSc (Hons) Architectural Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Building Surveying and the Environment
- BSc (Hons) Construction Management and the Environment
- BSc (Hons) Animal Behaviour and Welfare
- BSc (Hons) Biological Sciences
- BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
- BSc (Hons) Conservation Biology
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Biotechnology
- BSc (Hons) Human Biosciences
- BSc (Hons) Nutrition, Exercise and Health
- BSc (Hons) Psychology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Human Biology
- BSc (Hons) Psychology with Sociology
- BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance
- BA (Hons) Business
- BA (Hons) International Business
- BSc (Hons) Business Economics
- BSc (Hons) Business Management (3 YEARS)
- BSc (Hons) Business Management (2 YEAR FAST TRACK!)
- BSc (Hons) Economics
- BSc (Hons) Economics with Law
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Logistics
- BSc (Hons) Maritime Business and Maritime Law
- BSc (Hons) Marketing
- BSc (Hons) Computing
- BSc (Hons) Computer and Information Security
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Computer Systems and Networks
- BSc (Hons) Data Modelling and Analytics
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Education
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics with Finance
- BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Statistics
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Civil and Coastal Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Marine Technology
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering with Composites
- BEng (Hons) Robotics
- BSc (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BSc (Hons) Robotics
- BSc (Hons) Applied Geology
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Management and Sustainability
- BSc (Hons) Environmental Science
- BSc (Hons) Geology
- BSc (Hons) Physical Geography and Geology
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Child Health Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Dietetics
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
- BSc (Hons) Optometry
- BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practitioner
- BSc (Hons) Podiatry
- BSc (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies with Law
- BSc (Hons) International Relations with Law
- BSc (Hons) International Relations with Politics
- BSc (Hons) Politics with International Relations
- LLB (Hons) Law
- LLB (Hons) Law with Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies
- BSc (Hons) Marine Biology
- BSc (Hons) Marine Biology and Coastal Ecology
- BSc (Hons) Marine Biology and Oceanography
- Bsc (Hons) Navigation and Maritime Science
- BSc (Hons) Oceanography and Coastal Processes
- BSc (Hons) Ocean Exploration and Surveying
- BSc (Hons) Ocean Science and Marine Conservation
- BSc (Hons) Business and Tourism
- BSc (Hons) Cruise Management
- BSc (Hons) Hospitality Management
- BSc (Hons) International Hospitality Management
- BSc (Hons) International Tourism Management
- BSc (Hons) Tourism Management
- BSc (Hons) Tourism and Hospitality Management
If you are looking to pursue a postgraduate degree, you may explore the following courses.
- MA Human Resource Management
- MSc Accounting and Finance
- MSc Brand and Design Management
- MSc Business and Management
- MSc Digital and Social Media Marketing
- MSc Entrepreneurship
- MSc Entrepreneurship and International Development
- MSc Finance
- MSc Finance and Investment
- MSc International Business
- MSc Management
- MSc Operations and Supply Chain Management
- MSc Computer Sciences (Conversion)
- MSc Data Science and Business Analytics
- MSc Environmental Consultancy
- MSc Sustainable Geoscience
- MSc Sustainable Environmental Management
- MA Publishing
- MSc International Hospitality Management
- MSc Tourism and Hospitality Management
In order to enroll for any of the aforementioned courses, it is mandatory to meet the eligibility criteria. You must prove proficiency in English language, and hence must have completed IELTS with a minimum score of 6.0 if you wish to pursue an undergraduate programme. At the same time, it is imperative to score 5.5 in all four components. I.e. reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Students who are pursuing a postgraduate programme must have a minimum 6.5 overall score, with 5.5 in each component. Remember, the IELTS academic tests must be taken no more than 3 years prior to the start date at the University. Some other accepted tests include PTE (Minimum score of 53 for undergraduate programmes and 61 for postgraduates) and TOEFL iBT (76 for undergraduates and 90 for Plymouth University postgraduate courses).
If you are unable to meet these requirements, you may enroll yourself for a pre-sessional academic English course at the English Language Centre (ELC). These courses are designed exclusively to help you improve your command over English language, so as to gain admission towards an undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University.
Students often seek the best from their alma maters, and this is exactly what the University of Plymouth gives to their students. Through a wide range of amenities and services, you are rest assured of receiving guidance and support as and when you need it.
The University offers disability services, childcare facilities for children of staff and students, computing services, counselling, media workshops, medical centre, multi-faith chaplaincy, personal development planning, safety, work-based learning and much more. You may benefit from the Charles Seale-Hayne Library, and gain access to around 350,000 books, 14,000 journals, computers, photocopiers, and internet. The good news is that the University has a specialized team known as the ‘International Student Advice,’ to provide assistance Plymouth University international students. This team offers help and advice on various aspects, right from the day you get accepted into the University to your graduation.
To make you feel at home, although away from home, Plymouth University provides accommodation services. You may choose from a great variety of halls of residence, all of which are close to the main campus and are close to various city centre amenities. Living in the University halls is indeed an exciting experience, and gives you a chance to feel part of the thriving halls community. To avoid any hassles involved in securing Plymouth Uni accommodation, you may simply apply through the online portal. Students residing in Plymouth Uni halls may participate in ‘Residence Life events,’ - a great way to enjoy social activities with fellow students in your halls. Some exciting events include local zoo visits, watching live sports matches, and ice skating, bowling and adventure activities.
The campus is also home to numerous award-winning cafes, to the likes of RLB Terrace Café, Portlands Pizzeria, Drake’s Kitchen, and Writing Café, among others. You may grab a delicious meal from these cafes to satisfy your cravings or may simply enjoy your break here. Whether you fancy locally sourced fresh food, a hearty breakfast, a cake piece, or a healthy salad – the cafes have something for everyone.
There is a specialized ‘Learning Development’ team that offers various services, such as online resources, study guides, small group tutorials, and taught sessions. The team helps you to improve your writing and presentation skills, to communicate your ideas easily, to manage existing and new projects, and to articulate knowledge, among various others.
Students seeking jobs may visit the online management system ‘myCareer.’ This portal gives access to plethora of work opportunities, ranging from part-time jobs, graduate vacancies, and internships. You may also seek individual appointments for guidance in identifying opportunities and refining your career plan. Additionally, you may benefit from Career Fairs and Networking Evenings, and expand your professional network. The University also houses a ‘Careers & Employment Hub’ – one that offers guidance and information on building skills and networks in order to improve your chances of employability.
Regardless of your level of commitment and ability, you may participate in various sports activities held by the University. With over 50 clubs at your disposal, you may participate in different activities and sports, such as football, rugby, martial arts, cricket, and watersports. The University also has its own sports centre wherein you may enjoy full access to the gym, various sports facilities, and much more.
Through these amenities and services, you may enjoy your journey and make the most of your time at the University.
4. Pathway programmes
You may be pleased to know that the University of Plymouth International College (UPIC) offers various prestigious pathway programs to help you attain the necessary qualification to apply at the university. Such programs are designed for students who wish to study at the university, but currently do not have the necessary language skills or expertise required in their field of study. You may apply to study via UPIC, and gain admission into the course of your choice.
So what are you waiting for? It is time to enroll yourself at Plymouth University, and become a creative and critical learner, a sustainable and global citizen, a confident professional, and more importantly – a thriving and resilient individual.