Widener University is a private university in USA where academics, leadership, and
service matter and is considered as one of the nation’s top universities for civic
engagement. They offer liberal arts and sciences and professional programs leading to
associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees.
Widener University has a long history of turning out leaders with a formula that works.
They believe that academic excellence, career preparation, and civic engagement lead to
success. The close-knit community includes top-notch teachers, nationally renowned
researchers, and students from 22 states and 26 countries who are passionate about
learning, leadership, and making a difference.
When the students are not engaged in experiential learning assignments, the students and
faculty members lend a hand through community service projects in their hometown of
Chester and in communities around the world. They have a living laboratory where
students earn practical experience through internships and co-op opportunities.
With additionally campuses in Exton and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and in Wilmington,
Delaware, their beautiful 110-acre main campus in Chester is a great place to live,
study, and have fun.
Why You’ll Love Studying at Widener University?
- 196 judges in 17 states graduated from their Schools of Law.
- 89% of graduates from the Class of 2014 were employed or in graduate school within
six months of graduation.
- 54 athletes named Academic All-America; 10 students earned the award multiple
- 192 local, regional, and national employers hired Widener graduates of the Class of
Accreditation & Ranking
- Widener’s School of Business Administration holds accreditation from the prestigious
Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the
premier accrediting body for business education. Only 5 percent of business schools
worldwide hold this accreditation.
- Widener’s Hospitality Management program is ranked among the top 20 in the United
States by the Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Education.
- Widener’s digital media informatics major in the College of Arts and Sciences is one
of only five programs of its kind in the nation. This rapidly growing area combines
communications strategy with information technology and applies to a wide range of
- More than 95% of the engineering graduates are employed or in graduate school within
6 months of earning their degrees, with an average starting salary of $56,000.
- In their School of Nursing, the Freedom Battalion of Widener University commissioned
more nurses as officers in the U.S. Army than any other college or university in the
United States in two of the last 10 years.
- Alumni from the graduate programs in education are in leadership positions in
schools and school districts all over the region. More than half of local school
district superintendents, principals, and directors hold degrees in education from
- Graduates of our law schools consistently exceed the national average in their
placement in judicial clerkships.
- The Chemistry Department is a recognized leader in the field of sustainability and
chemistry. Widener became one of the the first Pennsylvania institutions to sign the
Green Chemistry Commitment in 2014.
- Widener has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor
Roll for eight years in a row.
- Widener was the first institution of higher education in the Philadelphia area
invited to join the Clinton Global Initiative University.
- The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching chose Widener University as
one of only 76 institutions in the nation to qualify for a new “community
- As a Bonner Partner, Widener is among colleges and universities working to improve
the lives of individuals and communities as part of the effort by The Bonner
Foundation. Widener’s Presidential Service Corps is a Bonner Leaders program.
Some of the Programs Offered
College of Arts & Sciences
- English & Creative Writing
- Fine Arts
- Modern Languages
- Communication Studies
- Criminal Justice
- Political Science & International Relations
- Computer Science & Computer Information Systems
- Environmental Science
- Physics and Astronomy
- Science Education
- General Certificate in Liberal Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- Master in Criminal Justice
School of Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
School of Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree for preparation of new RNs
- RN-to-BSN or RN-to-MSN for currently licensed RNs
- Master of Science in Nursing degree with specialization as a Family (Individual
Across the Lifespan) CRNP, as an Adult-Gerontology Clinical Nurse Specialist, or
degrees in Nursing Education or Executive Nurse Leadership
- Doctor of Nursing Practice degree for the highest level of advanced practice
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree for preparation of nurse educators and scholars
School of Business Administration
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Health Care MBA
- Master of Science in Business Process Innovation
- Master of Science in Taxation & Financial Planning
- Business informatics
- International business
Widener University Delaware Law School and Widener University Commonwealth Law
- Master of laws (LLM) in corporate law and finance
- General master of laws (LLM)
School of Education, Hospitality, and Continuing Studies
- Hospitality Management
- Continuing Education
- Professional Writing
Clubs and Organizations – 80 student clubs and organizations let you
explore almost any interest. You can host a radio show, step out with the Widener Dance
Company, or lead in student government. They also do community service too, with
literacy, neighborhood clean-up, and other outreach projects in Chester and around the
Sports and Recreation
Widener’s motto is Mens Sana in Corpore Sano, which translates into “a sound mind in a
sound body.” So it should come as no surprise that at Widener, the belief is that
physical activity is just as important to your overall success as academic, civic, and
social engagement. Whether you’re a competitive athlete or just want to keep fit, you’ll
enjoy our modern recreational facilities and a variety of co-ed intramural and club
Residence & City Life
The residence halls, apartments, and Greek-letter houses are great places to relax with
friends. And the dining halls and food court are perfect when we want to chow down or
stock up on munchies. The icing on the cake? With Center City Philadelphia only twenty
minutes away, it’s easy to get your fix of big city sports, culture, and entertainment.